Sunday 7 February 2016

Whenwe's

Omigosh! Look what's happened to the time!

No, silly. Not the clock on the wall, the other one. The calendar. 

It's changed again. Since yesterday. And the day before. It seems like it was only yesterday that we were saying 'Happy New Year' - yet 38 days of the 366 (yes, we're in a leap year, in case you've forgotten,or didn't know) have passed. That's 10.38% of this year down the drain.

Or, in a more positive light, my life has been enriched by 10.38% of another year.

2016 is the 'Summer of My 69', so to speak. And, do you know what? It still seems as if I'm 22. Except for one or two aches and "can'tdo's". Or perhaps a few more than one or two. Maybe quite a lot, come to think of it. 

Jeanette's 'Collins 2016' Page-A-Day
























What's brought on this sudden inspiration to rant about the time, like an old person? Well, 'inspiration' is probably not appropriate for such a simple issue, 'idea' is probably adequate.

Jeanette's Collins 2016 page-a-day diary. This is one of those things which she has religiously maintained for all close-on 50 years that's I've been part of her life. She has (typically stubbornly) refused to convert to some sort of electronic storage and records her 'Dear Diary' entries every day. 

I tried to maintain a written diary many years ago. The first few days I produced, like, quite a few pages a day. That didn't last a week. The trouble was that I failed to sift out the important stuff which would make memories from the rest of my activities. So, my diary-keeping habits haven't been what-you'd-call sloppy and sporadic --they have been non-existent!

The only record I can refer to, is the photo files on the computer. The trouble with the photo-record system is that Google was not around in those days. Or maybe I simply didn't make proper use of the available storage systems. So, my digital photos which started somewhere in the nineties(?) when I bought my first Agfa, have been lost to faulty computer backup, broken computers or simple negligence. Since acquiring the services of  Facebook and Google storage facilities, I can access my 'diary' entries a lot easier.

Back in time ('whenwe'), I can clearly remember receiving an annual page-a-day diary around Christmastime from the bank. I used these mostly for work purposes, and I still have the very last one which was in service at the time that health issues ended my formal work life in February/March 2000 -- that's a whopping 16 years! 

Where on earth has the time gone?   

No comments:

Post a Comment